Wednesday 30 March 2011

Level 7 'Mullberry Street'


Having sailed through level 6 "getting the kids to kindergarten" I raced into town to buy some groceries, have a coffee with a lovely friend (oh life is so hard) and even squeezed in a quick hello to those who had been in France. This meant that level 7 "picking the kids up at the right time" was going to be tightly timed. 'Never fear' thought I, 'my trusty bike and I can do it'.

The first obstacle was an old lady who pushed to the front of the traffic line at the traffic light. I don't normally scoff out loud but she was really old and I thought it a little presumuous to wait at the very front. From then on my sole aim was to overtake her. The lights changed, she got the jump on me but I thought it would be easy to catch up. I was a few bikes behind so I had some work to do. The lady directly in front of me had her shopping basket from the market teetering behind her, as it started to fall I hit the brakes, swerved and saw the old lady round the corner up ahead. A quick polite smile of solidarity with the shopping basket lady who managed to save the basket from falling and I put my head down and pedaled hard. Still two people between me and my now arch nemesis when the number 11 bus pulled in causing me again to slow down to avoid any disembarking passengers. Throwing care to the wind and trusting the give way to cyclist rule I flew across a side street and with just 20 metres (or so) between us I had to decide victory over the elderly or picking up the Mouse on time. Slowing down, I saluted the victor who pedaled on oblivious and signaled my left hand turn into the international house to pick up Mouse who had been having a lovely time playing in the sand pit in the warmer weather. Then I went up the hill to pick up the Bear and Monkey who had been working industriously in the kindergarten ice cream factory (Das Eis Fabrik)

And to think the trip from town to the international house is around two kilometres and takes all of 7 minutes at top speed.

3 comments:

  1. brilliant! I now expect to see a photo of you dressed as frogger ;-)
    x
    Liss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, you crazy cyclists... ;) Though I've been on my bike twice since getting back. I just have to wait a few days before the next ride because my backside is still sore from the previous! :(
    Oh, and the kids are working in an Ice Cream Factory now? That sounds like the same sort of slave labour as getting them to cook potato fritters for you... ;)
    Why can I not remember the German word for potato fritters?! I can only remember Roesti, and that's the Swiss one. :( Argh!
    Hope all is well xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liss= Frogga, I am hand sewing the costume as we speak. I really read the Mullberry street Dr Suess book to much as a kid.

    Megan= Reibekuchen ummm voll LECKER. Keep up the good work on riding with crazy Ausralian drivers.

    ReplyDelete