Monday 18 June 2018

Someone had a birthday

No matter how old I am I love my birthday!

In Australia my birthday always falls around the Queen's Birthday long weekend and I usually take the opportunity to extend the celebration over about a week. In the ongoing round of public holidays I also got a long weekend here and had a willing accomplice in my wonderful friend and nextdoor neighbour Frau A. Between us we have a garden and a pool and in some great forethought years ago the two houses installed a gate connecting them. We spent the 2 weeks before mowing the grass with a push mower on her side and crossing our fingers that our landlord (whose pool it is and who kindly let's us use it) would get the ph right and that the great weather would hold. After 2 marathon efforts which both lasted 3 days the lawn was no longer long (this is code for all Australians to say that your Dad or Grandad wouldn't have approved of the result but no kids would get lost in it), the pool was looking good and the clouds had come over. As my birthday is in winter in Australia I never got to have a pool party unlike my brother who has a Ferbruary birthday. Now, it isn't that I have based all my life choices on having a pool party in June but when the opportunity arises I have to take it. The first attempt in 2011 is documented early in the blog and involved a blow up paddle pool and it rained. This time I was hoping...and the sun shone through the clouds punctually at 4pm. I didn't actually go in the pool but the kids did. 
My big contribution apart from lawn moving and the resulting blister was PAVLOVA! Two actually a fruit one and a chocolate one (for my 2 fruit adverse boys).








Flowers, there is no better present! 

Lollies are also great too. The Monkey made this spectacular creation...and I think she ate most of it.


  
 Look at that grass! All kids and even Frau J and the Possum got roped in to help out with the mowing and garden work! Hard work in high humidity but a blast never the less.

A beautiful garden, lots of colour, empty plates and a couple of beverages. 
Many signs of a good celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment