Monday 6 December 2010

The Visit

The government is coming to visit and check on the kids tomorrow. Now I could get myself all worried and think it a reflection on our parenting eg forgetting to put plastic around lanterns, sending the kids to the field for potatoes and apple but I am looking on it as a very thorough system. As the German government are giving us money for the kids while we are here I figure we couldn't really say no. It actually came about as we are trying to get out of taking the Bear for his 5 year medical check. This in itself smacks of bad parenting but he had it in Australia just before we left but we have no proof as we decided the medical books too heavy to pack...a bad decision in retrospect but in our defense it was getting a bit crazy in the last days before we left. So "The Man" is coming to check on us tomorrow and I am thinking the impression should be a good one so I am scrubbing off the pirate tattoos (but not to hard, don't want to leave a red mark), vacuuming and somehow wafting a nourishing food smell through the house. Luckily the beer is kept in the cellar so no need to move that out.

Hopefully the kids will have come down from the St Nikolas sugar high. Every shop we went into today loaded them up with chocolate and on the bus (too much melty snow for the bike) they had to sing for their chocolate. The poor Monkey nearly fainted when she bravely boarded the bus first only to be meet by St Nikolas and the Christkind (an angel). The very sweet Christkind came up to us and asked if we could sing a song or tell a story about Nikolas in order to get a gift/sweet. I tried the good old "we're Australian" line and even went for a "sorry can you repeat that" in an attempt to get out of public singing but then a lovely old lady near us cracked out a tune and it happened to be the one the kids learnt in kindergarten and when she, and the rest of the bus travellers around us hit the chorus we (or at least me) heartily chimed in. A few seconds of sheer panic tuned into a couple of minutes of loveliness. A photo was taken and as I have a tendency to be a stage mother I will be scanning the local press to see if we get a mention.
PS Soon begins the chapter entitled "The Sled Family" as I secretly bought a second hand sled today that may be kept for Christmas. It sounds like we have been reading far to much from Enid Blyton's "Family Collection" book lately when everything turns into a chapter heading.

3 comments:

  1. Sled! Squeeeeee! I'll be visiting you the second I get back to Germany in January, thanks! ;)

    I'd be happy to recreate my Persian dish for you and Matt (no way the kids would go near it) sometime - might have to test it at home first, though, to make sure that I get it right!

    Glad to hear that you and the kids are getting all those public-happiness-brady-bunch-reactions on the bus. See, it's not so bad to take buses, is it?

    Also, was going to surprise you with the becher, but since you asked, yes, I managed to get you the last one in the Museum store. Talk about timing!! I'll bring it on Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to keep the kids as we passed the test. Nearly let him take them though as they were refusing to eat the very yummy potato, cauliflower and leek soup I had made for them yesterday (it was the second attempt and I know they like it.) we don't want to re do a health check we have already done in Australia especially as it takes an hour and our insurance doesn't cover it. Sounds a bit pathetic but put it this way, he rode his bike to us instead of us packing all the kids off to doctor on our bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, kids are so weird sometimes... there's no way I'd turn down a soup like that! You could always just threaten them with being taken by the government if they don't eat? ;)
    But it's cool that the guy rode to you instead of you having to bundle up all the kids. Definitely good that he rode instead of driving, too.

    ReplyDelete