Monday 20 December 2010

The Sherpa Family

What a weekend! So much snow!!!!!!!!!!!!! It all began last Thursday when we had 10cm of snow and a bit more after that and there is snow everywhere. We took the kids to the Christmas market on this night and met up with a couple of friends. For the record other parents were also seen to be braving the elements with small children. The up side was we actually got to sit down in a very sweet little hut and drink gluhwein...of course the children drank hot chocolate. I also learnt on this night that "ladies" don't order 6 Reibenkuchen (potato patties). I got laughed at by the couple who ran the stand as the chap loudly stated I wasn't big enough to eat 6 (better than the other way i suppose) then I thought it may have been the way i ordered 2 portions so I tried to explain i didn't want 18 that brought more laughter then I finally had to say I going to share with my husband....this was a desperate lie to take the heat of and allow the other people at the stand time to stop laughing and continue eating. I was pretty hungry and I think I only ate 3 and shared the rest with Herr Fitz and other friends. When we were leaving, actually waiting for the bus in front of the crepe stand and thus eating a nutella crepe I saw the chap and told him I ate 4 and the kids got some gummi bears from the lady as they thought I was a lunatic. Fortified by fried potato and warm nutella we waited for the bus then had to schlepp through the snow home as the bus didn't stop at our regular stop but three stops further. Can I just add here Herr Fitz had a lovely ride home on his bike and was astounded at our quest through the new snow.

The snow is still all over the roads. The buses are sliding into the stops and running whenever they can and we are taking the kids everywhere on the sled. It is loads of fun, verging on insane as it is getting hard to even walk in some places and, absolutely beautiful to behold (as long as you aren't driving a car or stuck at an airport). This weekend was the kids violin concert. The weather was so crazy on Friday that the practice on Friday was cancelled so we all had our fingers crossed for Saturday. Saturday we saw the sun for the first time in about a week and we realised the best way to get to the concert was on foot. We loaded up the bike trailer (with jogging wheel instead of the bike) with 2 x 1/8 violins, a music stand, music, a change of shoes for Herr Fitz as he was wearing in a pair of new snow boots and of course a thermos of hot chocolate, grabbed the sled and set off on what turned into the most beautiful 6-7km round trip. Everyone was out taking pictures, except us as the camera was at the bottom of all the afore mentioned packing and walking around the frozen lake. So as not to bore you with parental gushing over our kids I will just say we were so proud of the Bear and the Monkey for being brave enough to get up and perform.....and here is a 20minute video...no it is only 28 and a half minutes...no really it is really short. They actually played three little pieces but I will save the others for the big family slide night when we get home.


Were are thinking of changing our last name to Sherpa as we have rigged up the sled with an excellent handle system, good old hose pipe, Herr Fitz takes the Mouse to playgroup on it and I found out today it is possible to push the big stroller and pull the sled behind me. I definitely want photo documentation of this feat!

Christmas tree (ok so we went out into the back yard and cut off a few branches) went up this weekend and we have been busy making decorations for the past few days.
Only 6 sleeps left! Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Tash - The concert is just beautiful, miss you heaps. Laura

    ReplyDelete