Monday 29 November 2010

2 birthdays and SNOW.







A huge weekend of eating, drinking and general merry making was had by all as the Monkey turned 4 and Herr Fitz turned...uh uh 38. The Monkey was very serious about turning 4 as she is now a 'big girl.' we celebrated with cakes, paper chains, pass the parcel and topfschlag. For the record "pass the parcel" isn't an international game and a little explaining was necessary. After a round everyone was on the same page. Topfschlag on the other had was easily demonstrated and all the adults ended up joining in yelling "kalt" und "warmer" as the blindfolded, wooden spoon wielding kid attempted to find the saucepan on the ground. Herr Fitz's birthday was dominated by loads of chatting with old and new friends, a few "sherbets" (for the record that is drinks) and loads and loads of cheese and chocolate.

It was extra nice as it snowed on Thursday and it stayed on the ground all weekend. More snow fell today and with it came some seriously icey bike lanes and footpaths. People were falling off there bikes everywhere. It did have the spin off effect of making people talk to each other as they check if people lying on the footpath with bikes on top of them were ok. I stupidly decided to ride the kids to their violin lesson and had to get off and walk parts of the way after some serious heart stopping skidding. Proudly I didn't fall off and got the kids back to Herr Fitz at work unscathed. He then went and "got the bike trailer sideways" around a corner at the same time as the Bear went hands first along the ground off his bike. Not knowing any of this I went to my German class and completely stacked it on my way home, I still haven't realised that the bike slid out. Luckily no-one was hurt, just a little damp. So I have learnt two thing today: 1) the "I'll just race out to the bin in my socks" time is over as when I opened the door there was about 2cm of snow in front of me and my brand new fluffy socks screamed noooo! and 2) sometimes it is best to catch the bus.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed when I read that you're still eating the fudge-sludge. It did taste pretty awesome... I didn't take any of my usual healthy-shortcuts when I followed the recipe, so maybe that's where it went wrong! I might just try to make actual fudge next time. mmm.
    As for the gin, I don't think Matt owes me anything. I was a bit too broke to get him a present, so I think that was a fair compromise. I still have a bottle of Gordon's sitting on my shelf, too, so I think I'll bring that next time we have something to celebrate! ;)
    The becher came from the Ludwig museum in Koln - I'm probably going there on Saturday (I want to see the other museum nearby!) so I can pick one up on the way back... :)

    ReplyDelete