Friday 1 October 2010

To the Fields Children


The last two weeks at kindergarten the kids have been sent out to work in the fields picking potatoes and apples. Ok, that sounds a bit harsh, they have had the wonderful experience of walking to the nearby fields to gather potatoes and harvest apples. With the gathered produce they made Reibekuchen which is grated potato, onion and egg and salt and pepper which is then deep fried and served with apple sauce. It is fantastic and a much yummier potato creation than hot chips, though Herr Fitz still isn't convinced. With the apples they are making apple and cinnamon jam...can't wait till they come home today with that.While the children and Herr Fitz have been hard at work I have been doing very important things too. For example (I feel like I am writing a Mr Men book) I have been searching for the perfect tin to house my recipes in as I find a book a little to restrictive and if, nay when I spill stuff on it beyond repair. That said my quest is over and I found a great Dr Oetker (the father of German baking) tin in a book shop the other day when shopping with the lovely Fraulein M.

Apart from slaving over the rice pot and cleaning till the house sparkles 1950's style I have been grocery shopping (which I like) and back in the pool. Two things which are completely unrelated except from a security viewpoint. I have found the German equivilent to wrapping your keys and wallet in your towel at the beach. Having done part of my shopping at one store I neatly pack it in my bike trailer then ever so carefully velcro the "boot" flap down so that it is completely impenetrable (perhaps only to the Amish) and off I go to finish the shopping. The other day at the pool I had to use the towel as a lockable device when I forgot my 1euro for the lockers. As I laid my towel over all my gear ie. jacket, shoes, scarf yes it is only autumn but big jackets are in order I realised that I was the only one who had forgotten my money as my pile looked like the Alps.
I have also developed an unholy love of all things waterproof. We have a huge pile of waterproof pants and jackets. As I also have a pathalogical need to go everywhere on the bike (buses take too long) wet weather gear comes in very handy. My waterproof pants are fantastic. They have zippers down the side so they are easy to get on and off, I don't have to sit down and wrestle them over my shoes like poor Herr Fitz. So, not only are they practical, they feel a little bit like cowboy chaps which always make me think of Mardi Gras every time I take them off. Never fear there is always another pair of trousers underneath.


PS I reduced the sugar by half in the lemon cake recipe (previously blogged) and it was still fabulous. I never normally tamper with sugar content and ridicule those who do (sorry retrospectively) but as we are living in the land of sugar I felt I needed to.

Oh and, very excited about the sounds of cleaning downstairs as it means we can move into our final apartment this afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of cleaning 1950's style. I hope you meet Herr Fritz at the door every evening with a drink in hand while wearing a clean apron.

    I dare you to ride to Blackwood wearing your waterproof pants!

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your move downstairs goes well! Can't wait to come and see the new place.

    I also reduce sugar in my recipes... as you've already encountered in various items. The other day when I made Quittenmus (quinces!!!) I didn't add any, and quinces are pretty sour. It was so delicious without, though. Most of the time when I reduce the sugar, no one even notices. ;)

    Glad that the rainpants are going smoothly... for one of you, at least. They're a good idea, but I just can't bring myself to do it, mostly because I'm happy just to stay inside when it rains. The joys of single living compared to feeding a family, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dare accepted. I will be riding through Blackwood in my rainpants sometime in late, but before it gets to hot 2011. You all have Leanne to thank for that sight.
    Fraulein M you are welcome anytime and the kids even wanted to save some cake for you today.

    ReplyDelete