Thursday 6 January 2011

Three Kings

My Three Kings

We had a lovely start to our day when the three kings knocked on our door and sang us a song. The 6th of January is the Day of the Three Kings (as in "We Three Kings of Orient Are" aka Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar, I just learnt their names) and children come singing and collecting for good causes in other countries. Oh and of course sweets for themselves which, can I say they deserve as it was really slippery out there today. Luckily they were carrying staves. It was also lucky that we had a donation ready, sweets prepared and I had showered.

Then we had our first successful library trip today. Everyone enjoyed themselves, we got to do some research and we stuck to the one book each rule without any complaining and we didn't lose any gloves and no one nearly got left behind, though I did accidentally did press the stop button on the bus one stop too early and again had to say sorry as there weren't many people on the bus and it was obviously me who had done it. It was a very serious research trip. We took our book "Gorilla" by Anthony Browne and went to find the paintings and statue that he references. We found the "Mona Lisa" and the "Statue of Liberty" but with the Mouse starting to pull out the encyclopedias we gave up on "Whistler's Mother". It is the Mouse's favourite book at the moment so the Bear and the Monkey have been looking very closely at the illustrations and we only just noticed the banana in the Dad's back pocket at the end. The Bear and Mouse got counting books (always easier to read in German) and the Monkey got a Lotta book by Astrid Lindgren called "Na klar, Lotta kann Rad fahren" and it suits her down to a tee as Lotta can do everything the bigger kids can and got a second hand bike for her birthday (just like the Monkey's second hand bike).
Yesterdays Bugelperlen (those ironing bead things) efforts with lovely new friends, shops were also a played by those with shorter attention spans. Today the Monkey and I tried to finish her butterfly and I nearly went crazy as the Mouse knocked it over once and my fingers are just to big to do it not to mention the stress I feel when doing it. Definitely a kid only activity.

A quiet finish to the day.

2 comments:

  1. Love the 3 kings. Glad to hear the library trip story(I love that you had research assignments.) While I understand your need for the 1 book per person rule, remind me never to visit the library with you guys or your children will be embarrassed by my hissy fit- as I always seem to take half the library home.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey if you can carry your own books you are welcome to borrow as many as you like.

    ReplyDelete