Tuesday 4 January 2011

A New Year

The traditional melting of lead which is then thrown into water to give you a shape to see what the new year will bring. Or better known as Abstract Art.

We had a very nice new years with a couple of friends, pizza and chocolate fondue . Luckily for Herr Fitz I foresaw a problem with the amount of fruit present and bought him caramels to dip...needless to say he was very happy. Oh and I forgot to mention a few backyard fireworks. In the week before new year it is always a bit scary to see teenagers looking a I dare say buying fireworks from the supermarket and normally I am totally against them as they are REALLY dangerous and I am a killjoy. But, this year our friend bought a couple of rockets around so we let a few off for the kids before they went to bed though for the first one they were at the window but as they saw nothing we dragged them out in the cold for a better view. Then we had one of midnight, luckily everyone else in the neighbourhood had stocked up so we saw many more. And I must say it was really fun. I had forgotten the hilarious run the person who has just lit the fuse does, I hadn't seen that since I was a kid and it was my Dad. Add a bit of snow and the knees go even higher.

Since then we have been taking it easy and letting the kids relax at home and play with their christmas stuff...except when we said they must join us on a 6 km walk around the lake but as they were either being pushed (the Mouse) or being pulled on the sled (the Bear and the Monkey) I don't think it was too strenuous.

Lego was a hit with everyone.
I got to sort out all the pieces one night to find the small black connector in the wrong place so the build could continue, all my OCD needs were met.

Who'd have thought that sticky toothbrushes would create so much joy. Except for Herr Fitz who copped a toothbrush to the eye as he wasn't expecting it to be sticking out of the wall.


Home haircut...I am always against as the hair goes everywhere but, must say Kudos as it rocks!



Today I ventured out with the kids to do some shopping and got to test out the "German on the Bus" section of my vocabulary. Firstly I couldn't get over the snow with the stroller to get off the bus but luckily after a conversation with the driver about not being able to fit through the front door another Australian popped up and helped me off. I was outside the international house so very handy place to get stuck. The next bus braked so hard to avoid a u-turning van that i went flying into the stroller in front of me. Shopping went well and kids were great on the buses but again the snow was problematic and the back doors didn't even open as we headed home so as 10 or so people entered the bus I summed up the courage to call "back doors please" in German. Now for the record I hate speaking on buses in English let alone using modal and separable verbs to politely ask the driver to move up a bit past the snow. Mustn't have yelled out that I was a purple tree as the bus moved up and we got out. In my head I heard applause but maybe that was the entire bus laughing at my accent. You'd think we were home and hosed here but the last bus nearly left the poor Bear behind as the doors closed before he got on and again I had to yell out so he didn't have to put into practice the "what to do if lost" plan. Luckily he didn't panic as it happened really quickly. May stay home tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Good job with the home haircut! I actually had a conversation with the bus driver on the 14 route that morning when I was going to Amsterdam. As I got on, she started saying how people shouldn't be driving through the snow etc, and I was so bewildered that she was talking to me that she thought I didn't understand. It was quite entertaining, in retrospect, and she was really friendly and liked that I came all the way from Australia... haha. The conclusion of this massive paragraph about absolutely nothing is that bus drivers aren't scary. (Taxi drivers, however.... eeeek.)

    ReplyDelete