Monday 2 May 2011

Road trip and May Day

Three ladies, one car, no kids, no map, just over and hours drive, one border crossing
= road trip.

Those who have ready access to a car and babysitting might think I am a exaggerating a little with the notion of a road trip. Let me just say had it been a touch warmer the windows would have been down and the wind would have been in our hair. The kids and Herr Fitz spent some quality time together this weekend mostly in pyjamas before noon than at the zoo in the afternoon. I can only hope they got changed out of said pyjamas before they left the house as I had dashed off to the Netherlands with Frau G and Frau N for a little bit of shopping. I could lie and say we went for the culture but our sole purpose was shopping. Luckily culture fell upon us as it was Queen's Day. So loads of people were out in the streets, mostly dressed in orange and, as well as the weekend market there was a giant flea market throughout the inner city. Lots of wandering around was done, bakery treats bought, eaten and saved for the kids/husbands and off course a touch of shopping at the end.

It would have been silly to get there in an hour then drive around for another hour.

Especially for us or so it seemed as they passed a couple of times.

On the way home we had a guest "Long Neck" or "Lang Hals" or "Long Hals" when I get confused and the children laugh at me. He is a character from Efteling the theme park we recently went to. As we didn't buy anything for the kids at the theme park gift shop I just had to bring this fellow home at the bargain price of 1 euro in an attempt to rewrite history in my children's minds.
seems to have worked

Sunday was the 1st of May and as we went out for a lovely walk in the the morning we were constantly passed by huge numbers of cyclists in what could only be called packs. Turns out it is a bit of a tradition here to do a Radtour (bike tour) on the first of May. Never one to say no to tradition or a bike ride we joined Familie G for a kid friendly version that included ice cream and ended at a playground.
I was so impressed at the ability to attach a bike to the back of the bike trailer that I just had to take a photo. Poor Bear had to ride all the way home as we didn't even know it was possible and even if we did I don't think we are capable of attaching it correctly.

What a great way to finish April and start May.

1 comment:

  1. What a great road trip, with festivities at the end no less! I love that you got the character that way, they look happy with the history rewrite (Mr Fitz have anything to do with that?- just kidding ;-) oh and is that a certain skirt I spy? you look great in it.
    hugs to all
    Liss

    ReplyDelete